Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Sea Cucumbers and Chamorro Village

Today we went to the Chamorro Village, its basically just a place where you can buy lots of cheap shit and food on a stick.  I ate BBQ chicken on a stick and a deep fried banana on a stick.  It was everything I had hoped it would be....on a stick.

I also bought myself a $3 fan because I sweat, constantly.  I am probably sweating right now and don't even know it.  I will probably look like a stupid tourist but I am so brown and ambiguously ethnic looking that I will probably just look like a stupid local.  Apparently there is still somewhat of a caste system here and the browner you are the more poor you are assumed to be...so basically I can't win anywhere in any land.

ShiAnn and I went to the beach and while walking along the shore I spotted a strange gooey looking creature that turned out to be a sea cucmber that had been washed ashore.  ShiAnn touched it and didn't die, so that was good, her hand also did not fall off.  I was afraid to touch it so I rolled it down the shore using a water bottle but the sea cucumber apparently forget that it was a sea cucmber and would not attach itself to any of the rocks and instead continued rolling up the shore like a big blobby mess who refused to do anything with his life.  Eventually ShiAnn waded out and picked it up where it immediately fell into a sad looking U shape as water escaped from its tiny little water hole.  In sea cucmber world, this is a good thing, it means its still alive and ingesting water.  ShiAnn declared that it felt pretty dead and then gently tossed the sea cucumber out to sea.  Hopefully the lazy bastard finally remembered that it is a sea ceature and attached itself to SOMETHING.  About five minutes later we found a baby sea cucmber that was washed up on some steps that lead out into the ocean, so we took some pictures and then tossed it into the sea.

Baby sea cucmbers are adorable.

I held a monitor lizard and a coconut crab today.  Those who look at I Fucking Love Science's FaceBook page may remember the coconut crab and how huge and terrifying it is.  It is huge and terrifying in real life.




 Just your average day in Guam.

No comments:

Post a Comment