Saturday, May 25, 2013

It's just a matter of perspective.

I had fully intended to go hiking this morning with some friends, but insomnia kicked in and I didn't fall asleep until around 4:00 am.  When Lauren came and knocked on my door I was barely awake and could barely remember her even showing up after I finally woke up around 11:30 am.  I remembered also that I made plans to go to a BBQ and plans to go to Tumon and ride the Slingshot...

I am never a double booked kind of person, but for once in my life and on Guam of all places! I made plans for the BBQ first so I chose to go there and it was a day long affair as is everything on Guam.  Plenty of food to be eaten, not so plentiful water.  Tide was low and we got there, oh, roughly six hours before the tide was due to come in.  It was hot.  Very hot.  As someone so succinctly said, "weather and food,  the only two topics on Guam."  I did not bring SPF because WHY?  Almost three hours in to eating, playing volleyball, dominating at "throw a baseball into a glove on the ground" and almost fainting during dizzy bat, I realized I had a travel size sport SPF 50, perfect for when you are already sunburned.

A friend that I just recently met just recently had surgery. He is the most positive and upbeat after surgery patient I have ever seen.  I would be a huge baby and demanding someone make me a sandwich..similar to what I did when I broke my kneecap.  No big deal right, being a huge baby and making people do things for you after surgery??  He mentioned how grateful he was that he was to be able to move and that nothing can hold him down.  It made me realize that for 21 years I have been a total debbie downer about my fractured spine and instead of being happy for the things I can do, I should really stop being angry over what I can't do, which really isn't a whole lot.  I just have constant pain.  Not like dull achy pain, but, holy crap I hope I can stand up straight in the morning pain and pain that makes you want to curse at the world and kick puppies.. ANYTHING TO MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER.  

People don't always realize that just because I look fine on the outside doesn't mean everything is fine inside and I have always struggled with that.. having to explain to people why I dislike running and why anything high impact hurts too bad.  I get the shrug off and the weird looks and I know people are judging me, thinking I dislike those things because I am fat..but it isn't that.  I was active up until the day my body started to revolt on me.  I eventually became so defeated that it didn't matter anymore, my health didn't matter, I simply just didn't care.  For some reason, all these years of just living with it and just getting by, I never realized how off my perspective was, how I couldn't see how negative I was about it.  Weird how one simple conversation can totally change your entire perspective on who you thought you were.

Today I made good on my promise to be active as much as possible, I also made good on the embarrass yourself as often as possible promise that I apparently made to myself the day I came out of the womb.  




I just super love this photo of myself.


Ypao Beach BBQ Awesomeness.




Dodgeball, never not appropriate.






Me and Lauren, always.


I think he might have a problem, it's called being Mexican.


Seriously?


Three in a row??


And four, just because he can.  Delante looks like he is going to pass out.




It isn't a day at the beach until someone brings out the guitars and starts singing.  This has got to be the second best part of the beach, aside from just being at the beach.  I am obviously left out in the musically inclined department, so I just listen. 


Some soccer, some baseball, some football..whatever.




Jarrett and Paolo being awesome, like always.


Mexican Warrior Faces.


Two words: 
Fanny. Pack.

Eli and I went for about a 20 minute swim and I kept getting distracted by the fish that were hanging out by the coral.  I kept diving under just to check them out.  I saw some Trigger fish, but I am not sure what some of the other smaller fish are.  Trigger fish scare me even though they are small.  If they feel like you are in their territory, they will attack you and bite you.  They are tiny little buttheads.  After we got back, I took my camera out to try and find some more fish, and I found a small school hanging out and they probably seriously dislike me because I would not leave  them alone for at a good 20 minutes or so.





There was a larger Angelfish that repeatedly swam into the coral every single time I tried to get a photo of it. Jerk.


These fish were opalescent and looked much cooler than the photo makes them appear. 


I don't know what is going on here, I think they were swimming in circles trying to avoid me.


Weirdest underwater video ever.  I still have not managed to figure out how to keep myself from flipping around in the salt water, so this video is basically a seizure underwater...fish make an appearance at some point.. just keep watching. 








Ocean boogers that Jarrett was enjoying a little too much. There is a fish stuck to it.  A dead fish, which eventually ended up in my swimsuit.  It was awful.





Slippers enjoying the sand while I enjoyed the chair.


No comments:

Post a Comment