Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Tian Tan Buddha and Tai O Fishing Village

On Saturday I made a solo expedition to the Tian Tan Buddha...I had nothing but great expectations and maybe the lingering fear of getting lost since I speak impeccable English, but terrible Chinese.  I had a semi decent idea of where to go and on the good graces and spirit of adventure I set off.  But first I had some travel companions to keep me company on the ferry ride to Hong Kong.  As a ferry ride often is, it was quite  and a bit tipsy upon landing.  Sea legs definitely do not apply in the case of a rocking ferry boat while being docked and you are trying to walk down a flight of stairs while 100 other people and one small child tries to cut in front of you. 
Hong Kong; part duex.




It was raining and it proceeded to rain all day which was a welcome relief from the heat.

Missed out on breakfast so I had myself a "big sausage" while waiting to step in line for the cable car.  Thanks Ngong Ping 360 for the offering of "big sausages".


They also had an offering of free wifi so I took the opportunity to text my mother a nervous smile and a wave as I waited for the cable car. I did not however, text any of the group from which I separated from to let them know I had safely arrived even though they asked me too.  

I'm an adult.. I answer to no one..except my momma.


I'm either tired or terrified, either way I don't look that excited over what is about to happen.

And we are in the air.

And it is still raining.

BUDDHA!




Cows.


Bodhi tree and wishing wall.

Clouds rolling in and making everything just a little bit more authentically Chinese.

Li-nong Tea House.


Wonderful and very pleasing.

Buddha from the streets of Ngong Ping Village.


The most important part of my journey was being able to place a wish under the bodhi tree for my mom and dad.  The Ngong Ping Village actually had free wifi (amazing) so I was able to send my mom a photo of the wooden charm that I wrote on and hung for her and my dad.  She emailed me saying that it meant so much to her she couldn't read it through her tears.  I think that my mom knew how important Buddhism became to me at the time I became interested in it.
 Studying Buddhism as a (very) young adult made me a better person and made me understand that what I have in life does not always represent what I deserve; whether it be a positive or a negative.  I am undeserving of the vast amounts of love my parents have for me and their unconditional and unwavering desire to see me succeed despite my many and sometimes apparent downfalls and selfishness.  I truly hope that the prayer I sent out into the world will be heard.

The Bodhi tree.




The prayer I attached to the wishing wall.  I wasn't able to get my parents much for Mother's and Father's Day since I was half way around the world, so I honored them in this way.


I had to pose with Lucky Cat.  I bought a small Lucky Cat in green, holding a persimmon.  It is pretty darn cute and is going to look fabulous on my mom's fireplace mantle.

Ultra large Lucky Cat.. it was pouring rain and I got my iPhone soaked just taking this photo..sadly my camera batteries were almost dead.  Bummer.
Once I finished with  the Lucky Cat, I bought a ticket to Walking With Buddha, which is a multi-media 15 minute long or so story of the life of Siddartha Guatama.  It was very cool and at the end you are giving a Bodhi "leaf" with words of wisdom...it was extravagant and of course the village I'm sure rakes in lots of cash, but it was still awesome nonetheless.   After Walking With Buddha I decided it was time to finally walk to the Buddha.


The Buddha from the path leading to the stairs.

On of the Generals.

Stone path with all the Generals.

You enter on the right side and you can purchase a ticket for the museum located in the base or just proceed up the mountain..I chose to purchase a ticket and see the scrolls and the relic.  You also receive a free vegetarian snack at the canteen near the monastery.  This is a shot of the stairwell from the base.  It was raining and hot and cold all at the same time.


Slowly making my way up. Slowly.

A view of the mountain from the stairs.

Probably like a quarter of the way there.

Mildly closer.


Starting to get high enough on the mountain that the clouds were starting to obscure the view.

So. Dang. Close. The Buddha Amoghasiddhi faces North, towards Hong Kong.

Just a view down the stairs.

Finally.. the top of the stairs.





The statues at the base of the Buddha.  They are the "Offering of the Six Devas".  


Amazing views from the top.  The museum was small, but it had artwork and old scrolls that dated back centuries so that was pretty dang cool.  I also got to see the relic which is reported to have cremated remains of Siddarth Guatama.
I spent a little bit more time standing at the top and then I decided to make my way down and to the monastery, also, I was hungry and snack.





Incense...so much incense.  It was amazing how the air smelled of it despite it all being outside. 



My snack from the vegetarian cafe.  It was ALL wheat. I'm not saying that I follow my celiac's diet because let's face it, bread is the greatest thing since bread...but noodles.  I haven't had wheat noodles in over a year because they are the ONE thing that sends me into a celiac's spiral of hurt and despair, but I ate them anyway. And then suffered the consequences. I knew I should have bought that incense and said my prayers when I had the chance.  But later a gentleman who was working on the construction of the Monastery told me I was beautiful and that made up for it.


The Chinese Dragon dogs look like Levi Wigglesworth or at the very least like Falkor from The NeverEnding Story, which I guess Falkor is actually modeled after.

Walking the streets of Tai O village.  It was overwhelming with it's smells and aromas.  So intense but also so wonderful to watch the locals and feel so removed from contemporary society.

Heading into the boat! Wheee!





I really wish I had a better camera than my Kodak sport or my iPhone, which is decent but difficult to use in the rain and low lighting.  The stilt houses were unbelievable and it was surreal to see the homes and the area as it was.  I read that a portion of the area had been destroyed in a fire and sadly, it appears that there are still remnants and remaining scars from that time. 


And then the rain happened..again.




Finishing up the ride and getting ready to stroll through the village.

Crowded streets...well not so crowded.  Busy but with the ability to move about and look at everything.









Photos of some of the temples, I realized that I didn't take a lot of photos of the village until I was actually updating my photos..sad.  I get so wrapped up in looking that I forget to take the photos.

In the village they have a small museum that has artifacts and items used by the local villagers in the past.

I am fairly certain that the plaque for this stated it was 1950's traditional wedding attire.

Kerosene lamps and teapots.



My final photo of the village, I have no idea what I was attempting to get a shot of.

Going to Hong Kong and navigating on my own in a foreign country is one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had.  Once when I was 19, I navigated around the United States on few thousands mile road trip and ten years later I had the adventure of life time.

No comments:

Post a Comment