Wednesday, July 3, 2013

A-Ma Temple and Goddess, not historic at all.

Once we completed our excursion to the Panda Pavilion, our day did not stop there..nope. After sweating through an exhausting day of being in a panda park and listening to whooping monkeys who like to start gang wars from inside their caged prisons, it was off to the A-Ma Cultural Village...but first we had to take pictures at the entrance of the shuttle that takes you up the mountain.  Once we finished pictures, we had to wait again because the shuttle bus driver refused to get in the bus and drive until it was exactly 30 minutes past the hour.  27 minutes after was JUST to early.  I also just realized that I have not yet seen the Temple and I am very upset about this.. I thought the cultural village was part of the Temple, when in fact it is not and everything was pretty much built between 1998 and 2001.. utter disappointment.  I am so super bummed.  Regardless, the photos are cool and everything was neat looking, I guess.












Stone carvings at the Facade at Estrada de Seac Pai Van.


Entrance to the cultural village






Stone carvings on the stairs





More statues.












Things that look old but aren't...yep. After finding out that this was a cultural village I really don't care much anymore. I don't want to look at replicas of stuff, I want to look at the originals, so now I have to navigate my way to the ACTUAL A-Ma Temple so I can see the Temple that was built in 1480 and not some village that was built on 2001.



Name carving in plants!

A-Ma Goddess statue.



Once again using giant objects to make me look thinner.

View from the top of the mountain.






Hiking trails leading down the mountain from the Goddess statue.


More photos of the Goddess statue.  A-Ma was though to protect the citizens of Macau and people who made their living from the sea. A local legend says the Goddess saved fisherman on a ship during a storm and afterwards she ascended to Heaven, the site of the ACTUAL Temple that was built during the Ming Dynasty is said to be the site of where the Goddess ascended into Heave

I have absolutely no idea what this is, but it was probably carved in 2001 so it doesn't really matter.








More walking trails.
Yep.

1 comment: